Formula One is coming to Austin, Texas!
Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited (together, the F1 Commercial Rights Holder) and Full Throttle Productions, LP, promoter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™, announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.
Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group stated: “For the first time in the history of Formula One in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event. It was thirty years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, NY (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success.
In addition to the State of Texas being the 11th strongest economy in the world, it has more Fortune 500 company headquarters than any other state. Key features of Austin include:
– State capital nicknamed ‘Silicon Hills’ for being one of the most important regions in the US for the Technology Industry;
– USA’s 15th largest city and is located 145 miles from Houston (4th largest US city), 70 miles from San Antonio (7th largest US city), and 180 miles from Dallas (8th largest US city), population in this triangle is over 22 million;
– perfectly located geographically for North, South and Central American visitors;
– over 130 daily departing international flights within 180 miles;
– over 250,000 hotel rooms within 180 miles;
– desirable year-round climate, with an average annual temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 Celsius);
– geographically located in the Texas Hill Country, easily the most beautiful city in the State, and considered one of the most in the US;
– hotels/downtown/Formula 1 circuit/airport located within close proximity of each other, which is nearly impossible for any other large city in the US;
– world class night life entertainment along renowned ‘Sixth Street’; and
– large film industry presence – many movies filmed in the area.